mardi 7 mai 2013

Venice 05-2013


Doge's Palace, Venice 


Venice nhìn từ  tàu du lịch

St Mark ' s Place lúc nào cũng đông vui

St Mark Basilica đang được sửa sang

The Bridge of Sighs (cầu than thở)



The Bridge of Sighs (Italian: Ponte dei Sospiri) is a bridge located in Venice, northern Italy. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone and has windows with stone bars. It passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the New Prison to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace. It was designed by Antoni Contino (whose uncle Antonio da Ponte had designed the Rialto Bridge), and was built in 1602.

Bến cảng gondola

 


 Kim Doan (Venice-1984)
KD và Tour guide 1984

Mặt nạ tiêu biểu dùng trong Lễ hội hóa trang Venezia.

Du khách nhộn nhịp
Quán ăn ấm cúng
Những đặc phẩm của Venice
Quán ăn với nhạc sống cổ điển rất trữ tình khi phố xá lên đèn

Doge's Palace

 

Venezia


Comune di Venezia
Một số cảnh quan của Venezia: trên bên trái là Piazza San Marco, sau đó là cảnh thành phố,  Grand Canal, và bên trong La Fenice và cuối cùng là đảo San Giorgio Maggiore
Một số cảnh quan của Venezia: trên bên trái là Piazza San Marco, sau đó là cảnh thành phố, Grand Canal, và bên trong La Fenice và cuối cùng là đảo San Giorgio Maggiore
Venezia ở Italy
Venezia
Vị trí của Venezia ở Italia
Tọa độ: 45°26′15″B 12°20′9″ĐTọa độ: 45°26′15″B 12°20′9″Đ
Quốc gia Italia
Vùng Veneto
Tỉnh Venezia (VE)
Frazioni Chirignago, Favaro Veneto, Mestre, Marghera, Murano, Burano, Giudecca, Lido, Zelarino
Chính quyền
 - Mayor Giorgio Orsoni (Đảng Dân chủ)
Diện tích
 - Tổng cộng 414,57 km² (160,1 mi²)
Độ cao m (0 ft)
Dân số (2009-04-30)
 - Tổng cộng 270.660
 - Mật độ 652,9/km² (1.690,9/mi²)
Mã bưu chính 30100
Mã điện thoại 041
Thánh bảo trợ St. Mark the Evangelist
Ngày thánh 25 tháng 4
Website: Trang web chính thức
Venezia (tên trong phương ngôn Venezia: Venexia,Venessia), thường gọi "thành phố của các kênh đào" và La Serenissima, là thủ phủ của vùng Veneto và của tỉnh VeneziaÝ. Trong tiếng Việt, thành phố này được gọi là Vơ-ni-dơ (phiên âm từ Venise trong tiếng Pháp).
Dân số là 271.663 (thống kê ước tính vào 1 tháng 1, 2004). Cùng với Padova, Venezia nằm trong khu đô thị Padova-Venezia với dân số 1.600.000.
Thành phố trải ra trên nhiều đảo nhỏ trong khu vực Phá Venezia dọc theo biển Adriatic ở đông bắc nước Ý. Vùng phá nước mặn này trải dọc theo đường biển giữa các cửa sông Po (phía nam) và sông Piave (phía bắc). Dân số ước lượng là 272.000 người tính luôn cả dân số toàn bộ comune của Venezia; thành phố lịch sử của Venezia (Centro storico) có dân số khoảng 62.000, trong khi khoảng 176.000 sống ở Terraferma (nghĩa đen là "đất khô", nó là vùng phá mở rộng) và 31.000 sống trên các đảo khác của phá.
Nước Cộng hòa Venezia từng là một đế quốc hàng hải và một khu vực chuẩn bị cho các cuộc Thập tự chinh, cũng như là một trung tâm thương mại quan trọng (đặc biệt là thương mại gia vị) và nghệ thuật trong thời Phục hưng.

Mục lục

Lịch sử

Bài chi tiết: Cộng hòa Venice

Vị trí của Venezia trong Ý và Phá Venezia

Nguồn gốc và lịch sử

Theo như truyền thuyết thì Venezia được thành lập năm 422 bởi những người La Mã chạy trốn khỏi người Goth. Tuy vậy, không có những ghi chép lịch sử nào nói về nguồn gốc của Venezia. Thành phố có lẽ là được lập nên như là kết quả của sự gia nhập ồ ạt của những người tị nạn và vùng đầm lầy cửa sông Po theo sau sự xâm lược tàn phá phía đông bắc nước Ý bắt đầu bởi Quadi và Marcomanni trong năm 166-168, những người tàn phá khu trung tâm chính trong khu vực này, nay là Oderzo. Sự chống trả của người La Mã bị lật đổ vào đầu thế kỉ thứ 5 bởi những người Visigoth và, khoảng 50 sau đó, bởi người Hun dẫn đầu bởi Attila.
Cuộc xâm lược cuối cùng và kéo dài nhất là của người Lombard vào năm 568: lần này đã để lại Đế chế La mã miền Đông một dải đất nhỏ dọc theo bờ biển của vùng bây giờ là Veneto, và những thể chế hành chính và tôn giáo do đó đã được chuyển về giáo xứ còn lại này. Các cảng mới được xây dựng, bao gồm cả những cảng ở Malamocco và Torcello trong vùng Phá Venezia. Sự thống trị của người Byzantine ở vùng trung và bắc nước Ý bị quét sạch gần hết bởi sự chinh phạt của Exarchate của Ravenna (exarchate là một tỉnh thuộc Đế chế Byxantine, nằm xa thành Constantinople) vào năm 751 bởi Aistulf. Trong giai đoạn này thống đốc Byzantine địa phương ("công tước", sau này là "doge") đóng tại Malamoco: khu dân cư trên các hòn đảo trong phá có lẽ tăng lên theo tương ứng cùng với sự chinh phạt của Lombard trên các lãnh thổ Byzantine. Trong năm 775-776 vị trí cha xứ của Olivolo (Helibolis) được tạo ra. Trong suốt triều đại của công tước Agnello Particiaco (811-827) nơi công tước đồn trú được di chuyển từ Malamocco đến nơi được bảo vệ tốt nhất là đảo Rialto (Rivoalto, "Bờ cao"), địa điểm hiện nay của Venezia. Nơi này lần lượt tu viện St. Zachary được xây dựng, cung điện công tước đầu tiên và nhà thờ St. Mark, cũng như một tường phòng thủ (civitatis murus) giữa Olivolo và Rialto. Vào năm 828 sự nổi tiếng của thành phố được tăng lên vì những thánh vật (cưỡng đoạt từ Alexandria) được đặt vào nhà thờ mới xây St. Mark. Quyền lực nhà thờ cũng được di chuyển về Rialto. Khi cộng đồng tiếp tục phát triển và quyền lực Byzantine giảm dần đi, một đặc tính chống phương Đông tăng dần, dẫn đến sự phát triển của tính tự lập và cuối cùng là độc lập.

Mở rộng

Venezia và các phá
Di sản thế giới UNESCO

Wenecja Palac Dozow.JPG
Dinh tổng trấn, một trong những công trình nằm tại Venezia

Quốc gia Flag of Italy.svg Ý
Dạng Văn hóa
Tiêu chuẩn i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi
Tham khảo 394
Vùng Châu Âu
Lịch sử công nhận
Công nhận 1987  (Kỳ họp thứ 11)
* Dịch từ tên chính thức trên danh sách Di sản thế giới.
Vùng được UNESCO phân loại chính thức.
Từ thế kỉ thứ 9 đến thế kỉ 12 Venezia phát triển thành một thành quốc (một thalassocracy kiểu Ý hay là Repubblica Marinara, và ba thành phố tương tự là Genova, PisaAmalfi). Vị trí chiến lược tại điểm địa đầu của biển Adriatic đem lại thế mạnh về thủy quân và kinh tế của thành Venezia là điều không thể chối cãi được. Thành phố trở thành một trung tâm phồn thịnh về thương mại giữa vùng Tây Âu và phần còn lại của thế giới (đặc biệt là Đế chế Byzantine và thế giới Hồi giáo).
Vào thế kỉ 12 những thứ quan trọng cho thế mạnh của Venezia được xây dựng: Kho đạn Venezia được bắt đầu xây vào 1104; Venezia thu tóm quyền điều khiển đèo Brenner từ Verona vào năm 1178, mở ra một đường huyết mạch cho bạc đến từ Đức; doge (tổng trấn) cuối cùng thuộc giai cấp quý tộc, Vitale Michiele, qua đời vào năm 1172.
Cộng hòa Venezia chiếm các bờ phía đông của biển Adriatic trước năm 1200, chủ yếu vì các lý do thương mại, bởi vì cướp biển đóng ở khu vực đó là mối đe dọa cho thương mại. Vị Doge, lúc đó, đã là Công tước của Dalmatia và Công tước của Istria. Các vùng đất sở hữu sau này, trải rộng từ Hồ Garda đến xa về phía tây tận sông Adda, được biết đến như là "Terraferma", là được chiếm một phần như là một vùng đệm chống lại các nước nguy hiểm xung quanh, một phần bảo đảm con đường thương mại qua dãy Alps, và một phần bảo đảm sự cung ứng của lúa mì từ lục địa, mà thành phố phải dựa vào. Trong việc xây dựng thành một đế chế hàng hải, nước cộng hòa này đã đoạt điều điều khiển hầu hết các đảo trong vùng Biển Aegea, bao gồm cả KyprosCrete, và trở thành một mối lái quyền lực chủ đạo trong vùng Cận Đông. Bằng những tiêu chuẩn của thời điểm đó, sự điều khiển của Venezia đối với các vùng đất lục địa của nó tương đối khá là sáng sủa công dân của các thành phố chẳng hạn như Bergamo, BresciaVerona đã nổi dậy bảo vệ chủ quyền của Venezia khi bị đe dọa bởi quân xâm lược.

Cảnh Venezia về phía đảo San Giorgio Maggiore nhìn từ tháp chuông của nhà thờ St Mark
Venezia trở thành một đế chế sau cuộc Thập tự chinh thứ 4, một cuộc chiến mà nhờ có sự tham gia của Venezia thành Constantinople đã đổ vào năm 1204 để thiết lập Đế chế Latin; Venezia tự tạo ra một vùng ảnh hưởng gọi là Duchy of the Archipelago. Không may, sự chiếm lĩnh Constantinople cuối cùng chứng minh giống như là sự kết thúc của Đế chế Byzantine cũng như sự thất thủ của phong cách Anatolian theo sau Manzikert. Mặc dù người Hy Lạp tái chiếm thành phố bị tàn phá và Đế chế nửa thế kỉ sau đó, Đế chế Byzantine trên thực tế là không còn quyền lực, và tồn tại như một bóng ma trên phần cũ của nó cho đến khi Sultan Mehmet The Conqueror chiếm thành phố vào năm 1453. Nhiều thứ bị cướp đi trong thời chiến được mang trở lại Venezia, bao gồm cả Winged Lion of St. Mark, một biểu trưng của Venezia. Chỉ có những tàu Venezia có thể chuyên chở hiệu quả người, đồ tiếp tế và đặc biệt là ngựa chiến.
Venezia bắt đầu mất đi vị trí như là một trung tâm thương mại quốc tế sau sự chấm dứt của thời Phục hưng. Tuy vậy, đế chế Venetian là một nơi xuất khẩu chính các sản phẩm nông nghiệp và, cho đến giữa thế kỉ 18, là một trung tâm sản xuất.

Venezia hiện đại


Bản đồ trung tâm lịch sử Venezia
Sau 1070 năm, nước Cộng hòa mất quyền tự chủ khi Napoléon Bonaparte vào ngày 12 tháng 5, 1797, chinh phục Venezia trong Chiến dịch liên minh lần thứ nhất. Nhà chinh phạt người Pháp đã chấm dứt thế kỉ hoành tráng nhất của thành phố trong lịch sử của nó: Chính là trong giai đoạn Settecento (1700s) mà có lẽ Venezia trở thành một thành phố tráng lệ nhất ở châu Âu, ảnh hưởng lớn đến nghệ thuật, kiến trúc, và văn học. Napoléon được xem như là một người giải phóng bởi dân Do Thái của thành phố, mặc dù không có nơi nào khác trên nước Ý mà họ đã sống qua nhiều thế kỉ có ít giới hạn hơn Venezia. Ông phá bỏ những cổng của Ghetto và chấm dứt các hạn chế về địa điểm và thời gian mà người Do Thái có thể sống và đi lại trong thành phố.
Venezia trở thành một phần của Áo khi Napoléon kí Hòa ước Campo Formio vào 12 tháng 10 1797. Những người Áo chiếm thành phố vào 18 tháng 1 năm 1798. Nó được lấy khỏi Áo bởi Hòa ước Pressburg vào năm 1805 và trở thành một phần của Vương quốc Ý của Napoléon, nhưng được trả lại cho Áo sau thất bại của Napoléon vào năm 1814, khi nó trở thành một phần của Vương quốc Lombardy-Venetia điều khiển bởi Áo. Vào năm 1848-1849 một cuộc cách mạng tái thiết lập Cộng hòa Venezia trong một thời gian ngắn. Vào năm1866, theo sau cuộc chiến sáu tuần, Venezia, cùng với phần còn lại của Venetia, trở thành một phần của Ý.
Từ sau 1797, thành phố xuống cấp trầm trọng, với nhiều dinh thự cổ và các tòa nhà khác bị bỏ hoang và rơi vào trạng thái không sửa chữa được, mặc dù Lido trở thành một bãi biển du lịch nổi tiếng vào thế kỉ thứ 19.

Một vài gondola đậu trên một kênh đào của Venezia.

Gondola đang đậu tại bến trên kênh đào chính của Venezia.

Giao thông

Venezia nổi tiếng với những kênh đào của nó. Nó được xây dựng trên một quần đảo với 118 đảo tạo thành bởi khoảng 150 kênh đào và một cái phá cạn. Những hòn đảo trên đó thành phố được xây dựng được nối với nhau bằng khoảng 400 cái cầu. Trong trung tâm cũ, những kênh đào đóng vai trò như những con đường, và mọi dạng giao thông là trên nước hoặc đi bộ. Vào thế kỉ 19 một đường chính vào đất liền đem đến một trạm xe lửa đến Venezia, và một đường cho xe hơi cùng bãi đậu được thêm vào trong thế kỉ 20. Vượt qua khỏi những đường vào trên bộ ở cạnh phía bắc thành phố, giao thông bên trong thành phố vẫn là, như trong nhiều thế kỉ trước, hoàn toàn trên nước hoặc đi bộ. Venezia là khu đô thị rộng nhất châu Âu không có xe hơi, duy nhất ở châu Âu trong việc duy trì hoạt động như một thành phố bình thường trong thế kỉ 21 hoàn toàn không dựa vào xe ô tô hay xe tải.
Thuyền Venezia cổ điển là chiếc gondola, dù cho ngày nay nó được dùng chủ yếu cho du khách, hay cho đám cưới, đám ma, hay các dịp lễ khác. Đa số người Venezia ngày nay đi lại bằng thuyền gắn máy ("vaporetti") đi lại trên các tuyến dọc theo các kênh đào chính và giữa các hòn đảo trong thành phố. Thành phố này cũng có nhiều thuyền tư nhân. Những gondola vẫn còn được sử dụng phổ biến bởi người Venezia là những traghetti, những phà chuyên chở khách bộ hành băng ngang Kênh đào Chính của Venezia tại một số điểm nhất định không có cầu.
Venezia được phục vụ bởi một sân bay mới, Sân bay quốc tế Marco Polo, hay là Aeroporto di Venezia Marco Polo, đặt tên theo người công dân nổi tiếng sinh ra ở đây. Sân bay này là trên đất liền và được xây lại cách xa bờ biển để du khách phải đi xe bus đển cảng, rồi từ đó sử dụng taxi nước hay thuyền máy (waterbus) Alilaguna.

Các thắng cảnh chính


Kênh đào chính

Một kênh nhỏ ở Venezia (Rio della Verona)

Sestieri

Các sestieri là các phân chia truyền thống chủ yếu của Venezia. Thành phố được chia ra thành sáu quận Cannaregio, San Polo, Dorsoduro (gồm cả Giudecca), Santa Croce, San MarcoCastello (gồm cả San Pietro di CastelloSant'Elena).

Piazzas và campi của Venezia

Cung điện và palazzi

Nhà thờ

Các tòa nhà khác

Cầu và các kênh đào


Venezia và ngoại vi với màu giả, nhìn từ vệ tinh TERRA. Vị trí trên cùng của hình là phía bắc.

Các khu xung quanh

Venezia trong văn hóa, nghệ thuật và tiểu thuyết


Các kiểu mặt nạ tiêu biểu dùng trong Lễ hội hóa trang Venezia.
Trong thế kỉ thứ 14, nhiều đàn ông Venezia bắt đầu bận những quần sặc sỡ bó chặt, những kiểu cho thấy là họ thuộc về Compagnie della Calza ("Câu lạc bộ quần dài"). Thượng viện thông qua luật chi tiêu, nhưng những thứ này chỉ đem lại kết quả trong các thay đổi về thời trang để lách qua luật đó. Các bộ quần áo ít màu được mặc bên trên các bộ quần áo sặc sỡ, mà được cắt sao cho làm lộ ra những màu sắc bị che đi — kết quả là sự phổ biển lan rộng của các thời trang đàn ông "slashed" trong thế kỉ 15.
Trong thế kỉ 16, Venezia trở thành một trong những trung tâm âm nhạc quan trọng của châu Âu, được đánh dấu bằng một kiểu sáng tác đặc trưng (trường phái Venezia) và sự phát triển của dàn nhạc giao hưởng kiểu Venezia dưới các nhà soạn nhạc chẳng hạn như Adrian Willaert, người đã từng làm việc tại San Marco. Venezia là một trung tâm in ấn âm nhạc sớm nhất; Ottaviano Petrucci bắt đầu xuất bản âm nhạc ngay khi kỹ thuật này ra đời, và xí nghiệp in của ông giúp thu hút các nhà soạn nhạc trên khắp châu Âu, đặc biệt là từ PhápVlander. Cho đến cuối thế kỉ, Venezia nổi tiếng về sự huy hoàng của âm nhạc sáng tác ở đó, được ví dụ trong "kiểu hoành tráng" của AndreaGiovanni Gabrieli, và họ sử dụng nhiều nhóm nhạc cụ và ca sỹ khác nhau cùng một lúc.
Canvas (bề mặt vẽ tranh sơn dầu phổ biến) bắt nguồn từ Venezia trong đầu thời phục hưng. Những bức nền vẽ đầu tiên nhìn chung là thô nhám.
Cuộc sống vào những năm 1750 ở Venezia được minh họa bằng cuốn tự truyện A Venetian Affair, dựa trên những bức thư tình dạt dào của một quý tộc Venetian và người tình phân nửa là người Anh của ông ta.
Một chân dung đáng kể đến, không xu nịnh, về chính trị Venezia xuất hiện trong tác phẩm The Bravo, xuất bản năm 1831 bởi tiểu thuyết gia người Mỹ là James Fennimore Cooper. Một bravo là một kẻ đi ám sát được thuê bởi nhà nước, thường thi hành nhiệm vụ của mình với một stiletto. Tiểu thuyết của Cooper mô tả Venezia như là một chế độ độc tài độc ác, điều hành thông qua âm mưu và ám sát, được che mặt nạ bởi sự ôn hòa của Repubblica Serenissima (cộng hòa bình yên).
Các tác phẩm lớn có liên quan đến Venezia bao gồm:

Văn học

Phim

Doge's Palace, Venice

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Doge's Palace
Palazzo Ducale
Doge's Palace
Established 1340
Location Piazza San Marco 1,
30124 Venice, Italy
Type Art museum, Historic site
Director Camillo Tonini
Website palazzoducale.visitmuve.it
The Doge's Palace (Italian: Palazzo Ducale) is a palace built in Venetian Gothic style, and one of the main landmarks of the city of Venice, northern Italy. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the Republic of Venice, opening as a museum in 1923. Today, it is one of the 11 museums run by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia.
In 2010, it was visited by 1,358,186 people.

Contents

History


Drawing of the Doge's Palace, late 14th century
In 810, Doge Angelo Partecipazio moved the seat of government from the island of Malamocco to the area of the present-day Rialto, when it was decided a palatium duci, a ducal palace, should be built. However, no traces remains of that 9th century building as the palace was partially destroyed in the 10th century by a fire. The following reconstruction works were undertaken at the behest of Doge Sebastiano Ziani (1172–1178). A great reformer, he would drastically change the entire layout of the St. Mark's Square. The new palace was built out of fortresses, one façade to the Piazzeta, the other overlooking the St. Mark's Basin. Although only few traces remain of that palace, some Byzantine-Venetian architecture characteristics can still be seen at the ground floor, with the wall base in Istrian stone and some herring-bone pattern brick paving. Political changes in the mid-13th century led to the need to re-think the palace's structure due to the considerable increase in the number of the Great Council's members. The new Gothic palace's constructions started around 1340, focusing mostly on the side of the building facing the lagoon. Only in 1424, did Doge Francesco Foscari decide to extend the rebuilding works to the wing overlooking the Piazzetta, serving as law-courts, and with a ground floor arcade on the outside, open first floor loggias running along the façade, and the internal courtyard side of the wing, completed with the construction of the Porta della Carta (1442).
In 1483, a violent fire broke out in the side of the palace overlooking the canal, where the Doge's Apartments were. Once again, an important reconstruction became necessary and was commissioned from Antonio Rizzo, who would introduce the new Renaissance language to the building's architecture. An entire new structure was raised alongside the canal, stretching from the ponte della Canonica to the Ponte della Paglia (it), with the official rooms of the government decorated with works commissioned from Vittore Carpaccio, Giorgione, Alvise Vivarini and Giovanni Bellini. Another huge fire in 1547 destroyed some of the rooms on the second floor, but fortunately without undermining the structure as a whole. Refurbishment works were being held at the palace when on 1577 a third fire destroyed the Scrutinio Room and the Great Council Chamber, together with works by Gentile da Fabriano, Pisanello, Alvise Vivarini, Vittore Carpaccio, Giovanni Bellini, Pordenone, and Titian. In the subsequent rebuilding work it was decided to respect the original Gothic style, despite the submission of a neo-classical alternative designs by the influential Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. However, there are some classical features — for example, since the 16th century, the palace has been linked to the prison by the Bridge of Sighs. As well as being the ducal residence, the palace housed political institutions of the Republic of Venice until the Napoleonic occupation of the city in 1797, when its role inevitably changed. Venice was subjected first to French rule, then to Austrian, and finally in 1866 it became part of Italy. Over this period, the palace was occupied by various administrative offices as well as housing the Biblioteca Marciana and other important cultural institutions within the city.
By the end of the 19th century, the structure was showing clear signs of decay, and the Italian government set aside significant funds for its restoration and all public offices were moved elsewhere, with the exception of the State Office for the protection of historical Monuments, which is still housed at the palace's loggia floor. In 1923, the Italian State, owner of the building, entrusted the management to the Venetian municipality to be run as a museum. Since 1996, the Doge’s Palace has been part of the Venetian museums network, which has been under the management of the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia since 2008.

The building

The exterior


View from the Grand Canal
The oldest part of the palace is the façade overlooking the lagoon, the corners of which are decorated with 14th-century sculptures by Filippo Calendario and various Lombard artists such as Raverti (it) and Antonio Bregno. The ground floor arcade and the loggia above are decorated with 14th and 15th century capitals, some of which were replaced with copies during the 19th century.
In 1438-1442, Giovanni Bon (it) and Bartolomeo Bon built and adorned the Porta della Carta, which served as the ceremonial entrance to the building. The name of the gateway probably derives either from the fact that this was the area where public scribes set up their desks, or from the nearby location of the cartabum, the archives of state documents. Flanked by Gothic pinnacles, with two figures of the Cardinal Virtues per side, the gateway is crowned by a bust of St. Mark over which rises a statue of Justice with her traditional symbols of sword and scales. In the space above the cornice, there is a sculptural portrait of the Doge Francesco Foscari kneeling before the St. Mark's Lion. This is, however, a 19th century work by Luigi Ferrrari, created to replace the original destroyed in 1797.
Nowadays, the public entrance to the Doge's Palace is via the Porta del Frumento, in the waterfront side of the building.

The courtyard

The north side of the courtyard is closed by the junction between the palace and St. Mark’s Basilica, which used to be the Doge’s chapel. At the center of the courtyard stand two well-heads dating from the mid-16th century.
In 1485, the Great Council decided that a ceremonial staircase should be built within the courtyard. The design envisaged a straight axis with the rounded Foscari Arch, with alternate bands of Istrian stone and red Verona marble, linking the staircase to the Porta della Carta, and thus producing one single monumental approach from the Piazza into the heart of he building. Since 1567, the Giants’ Staircase is guarded by Sansovino’s two colossal statues of Mars and Neptune, which represents Venice’s power by land and by sea, and therefore the reason for its name. Members of the Senate gathered before government meetings in the Senator’s Courtyard, to the right of the Giants’ Staircase.

Museo dell'Opera

Over the centuries, the Doge’s Palace has been restructured and restored countless times. Due to fires, structural failures, and infiltrations, and new organizational requirements and modifications or complete overhaulings of the ornamental trappings there was hardly a moment in which some kind of works have not been under way at the building. From the Middle Ages, the activities of maintenance and conservation were in the hands of a “technical office”, which was in charge of all such operations and oversaw the workers and their sites: the Opera, or fabbriceria or procuratoria. After the mid-19th century, the Palace seemed to be in such a state of decay that its very survival was in question; thus from 1876 a major restoration plan was launched. The work involved the two facades and the capitals belonging to the ground-floor arcade and the upper loggia: 42 of these, which appeared to be in a specially dilapidated state, were removed and replaced by copies. The originals, some of which were masterpieces of Venetian sculpture of the 14th and 15th centuries, were placed, together with other sculptures from the facades, in an area specifically set aside for this purpose: the Museo dell’Opera. After undergoing thorough and careful restoration works, they are now exhibited, on their original columns, in these 6 rooms of the museum, which are traversed by an ancient wall in great blocks of stone, a remnant of an earlier version of the Palace. The rooms also contain fragments of statues and important architectural and decorative works in stone from the facades of the Palace.

The Doge's Apartments

The rooms in which the Doge lived were always located in this area of the palace, between the Rio della Canonica – the water entrance to the building – the present-day Golden Staircase and the apse of St. Mark’s Basilica. The disastrous fire in this part of the building in 1483 made important reconstruction work necessary, with the Doge’s apartments being completed by 1510. The core of these apartments forms a prestigious, though not particularly large, residence, given that the rooms nearest the Golden Staircase had a mixed private and public function. In the private apartments, the Doge could set aside the trappings of office to retire at the end of the day and dine with members of his family amidst furnishings that he had brought from his own house (and which, at his death, would be promptly removed to make way for the property of the new elected Doge).
  • The Scarlet Chamber possibly takes its name from the color of the robes worn by the Ducal advisors and counsellors for whom it was the antechamber. The carved ceiling, adorned with the armorial bearings of Doge Andrea Gritti, is part of the original décor, probably designed by Biagio and Pietro da Faenza. Amongst the wall decoration, two frescoed lunettes are particular worthy of attention: one by Giuseppe Salviati, the other by Titian.
  • The “Scudo” Room has this name from the coat-of-arms of the reigning Doge which was exhibited here while he granted audiences and received guests. The coat-of-arms currently on display is that of Ludovico Manin, the Doge reigning when the Republic of St. Mark came to an end in 1797. This is the largest room in the Doge’s apartments, and runs the entire width of this wing of the palace. The hall was used as a reception chamber and its decoration with large geographical maps was designed to underline the glorious tradition that was at the very basis of Venetian power. The two globes in the center of the hall date from the same period: one shows the sphere of heavens, the other the surface of Earth.
  • The Erizzo Room owes its name to Doge Francesco Erizzo (1631–1646) and is decorated in the same way as the preceding ones: a carved wood ceiling, with gilding against a light-blue background, and a Lombardy-school fireplace. From here, a small staircase leads up to a window that gave access to a roof garden.
  • The Stucchi or Priùli Room has a double name due to both the stucco works that adorn the vault and lunettes, dating from the period of Doge Marino Grimani (1595–1605), and the presence of the armorial bearings of Doge Antonio Priùli (1618–1623), which are to be seen on the fireplace, surmounted by allegorical figures. The stucco-works on the walls and ceiling were later commissioned by another Doge Pietro Grimani (1741–1752). Various paintings representing the life of Jesus Christ are present in this room, as well as a portrait of the French King Henry III (perhaps by Tintoretto) due to his visit to the city in 1574 on his way from Poland to take up the French throne left vacant with the death of his brother Charles IX.
  • Directly linked to the Shield Hall, the Philosophers’ Room takes its name from the twelve pictures of ancient philosophers which were set up here in the 18th century, to be later replaced with allegorical works and portraits of Doges. To the left, a small doorway leads to a narrow staircase, which enabled the Doge to pass rapidly from his own apartments to the halls on the upper floors, where the meetings of the Senate and the Great Council were held. Above the other side of this doorway there is an important fresco of St. Christopher by Titian.
  • The Corner Room's name comes from the presence of various paintings depicting Doge Giovanni Corner (1625–1629). The fireplace, made out of Carrara marble, is decorated with a frieze of winged angels on dolphins around a central figure of St. Mark’s Lion. Like the following room, this served no specific function; set aside for the private use of the Doge.
  • The Equerries Room was the main access to the Doge’s private apartments. The palace equerries were appointed for life by the Doge himself and had to be at his disposal at any time.

Institutional Chambers

  • The Square Atrium served as a waiting room, the antechamber to various halls. The decoration dates from the 16th century, during Doge Girolamo Priuli's reign, who appears in Tintoretto’s ceiling painting with the symbols of his office, and accompanied by scenes of biblical stories and allegories of the four seasons, probably by Tintoretto’s workshop, Girolamo Bassano and Veronese.
  • The Four Doors Room was the formal antechamber to the more important rooms in the palace, and the doors which give it its name are ornately framed in precious Eastern marbles; each is surmounted by an allegorical sculptural group that refers to the virtues which should inspire those who took on the government responsibilities. The present decoration is a work by Antonio da Ponte and design by Andrea Palladio and Antonio Rusconi. Painted by Tintoretto from 1578 onwards, the frescoes of mythological subjects and of the cities and regions under Venetian dominion were designed to show a close link between Venice’s foundation, its independence, and the historical mission of the Venetian aristocracy. Amongst the paintings on the walls, one that stands out is Titian’s portrait of Doge Antonio Grimani (1521-1523). On the easel stands a painting by Tiepolo portraying Venice receiving the gifts of the sea from Neptune.

Neptune Offering Gifts to Venice (1748–1750) by Giovan Battista Tiepolo
  • Antechamber to the Hall of the Full Council was the formal antechamber where foreign ambassadors and delegations waited to be received by the Full Council, delegated by the Senate to deal with foreign affairs. This room was restored after the 1574 fire and so was its decorations, with stucco-works and ceiling frescoes. The central fresco by Veronese shows Venice distributing honors and rewards. The top of the walls is decorated with a fine frieze and other sumptuous fittings, including the fireplace between the windows and the fine doorway leading into the Hall of the Full Council, whose Corinthian columns bear a pediment surmounted by a marble sculpture showing the female figure of Venice resting on a lion and accompanied by allegories of Glory and Concord. Next to the doorways are four canvases that Tintoretto painted for the Square Atrium, but which were brought here in 1716 to replace the original leather wall panelling. Each of the mythological scenes depicted is also an allegory of the Republic’s government.
  • The Council Chamber: the Full Council was mainly responsible for organizing and coordinating the work of the Senate, reading dispatches from ambassadors and city governors, receiving foreign delegations and promoting other political and legislative activity. Alongside these shared functions, each body had their own particular mandates, which made this body a sort of “guiding intelligence” behind the work of the Senate, especially in foreign affairs. The decorations were designed by Andrea Palladio to replace that destroyed in the 1574 fire; the wood panelling of the walls and end tribune and the carved ceiling are the work of Francesco Bello and Andrea da Faenza (it). The paintings in the ceiling were commissioned from Veronese, who completed them between 1575 and 1578. This ceiling is one of the artist’s masterpieces and celebrates the Good Government of the Republic, together with the Faith on which it rests and the Virtues that guide and strengthen it. Other paintings are by Tintoretto and show various Doges with the Christ, the Virgin and saints.
  • The Senate Chamber was also known as the Sala dei Pregadi, because the Doge asked the members of the Senate to take part in the meetings held here. The Senate which met in this chamber was one of the oldest public institutions in Venice; it had first been founded in the 13th century and then gradually evolved over time, until by the 16th century it was the body mainly responsible for overseeing political and financial affairs in such areas as manufacturing industries, trade and foreign policy. In the works produced for this room by Tintoretto, Christ is clearly the predominant figure; perhaps a reference to the Senate ‘conclave’ which elected the Doge, seen as being under the protection of the Son of God. The room also contains four paintings by Jacopo Palma il Giovane, which are linked with specific events of the Venetian history.
  • The Chamber of the Council of Ten takes its name from the Council of Ten which was set up after a conspiracy in 1310, when Bajamonte Tiepolo and other noblemen tried to overthrow the institutions of the State. The ceiling decoration is a work by Gian Battista Ponchino, with the assistance of a young Veronese and Gian Battista Zelotti. Carved and gilded, the ceiling is divided into 25 compartments decorated with images of divinities and allegories intended to illustrate the power of the Council of Ten that was responsible for punishing the guilty and freeing the innocent.
  • The Compass Room is dedicated to the administration of justice; its name comes from the large wooden compass surmounted by a statue of Justice, which stands in one corner and hides the entrance to the rooms of the Three Heads of the Council of Ten and the State Inquisitors. This room was the antechamber where those who had been summoned by these powerful magistrates waited to be called and the decoration was intended to underline the solemnity of the Republic’s legal machinery, dating from the 16th century. The ceiling paintings are by Veronese and the large fireplace was designed by Sansovino. From this room, one can pass to the Armoury and the New Prisons, on the other side of the Bridge of Sighs, or go straight down the Censors’ Staircase to pass into the rooms housing the councils of justice on the first floor.
  • In Venetian dialect, Liagò means a terrace or balcony enclosed by glass. This particular example was a sort of corridor and meeting-place for patrician members of the Great Council in the intervals between their discussions of government business.
  • The Chamber of Quarantia Civil Vecchia: originally a single 40-man-council which wielded substantial political and legislative power, the Quarantia was during the course of the 15th century divided into three separate councils. This room was restored in the 17th century; the fresco fragment to the right of the entrance is the only remnant of the original decorations.
  • The Guariento Room's name is due to the fact it houses a fresco painted by the Paduan artist Guariento around 1365. Almost completely destroyed in the 1577 fire, the remains of that fresco were, in 1903, rediscovered under the large canvas Il Paradiso which Tintoretto was commissioned to paint.
  • Restructured in the 14th century, the Chamber of the Great Council was decorated with a fresco by Guariento and later with works by the most famous artists of the period, including Gentile da Fabriano, Pisanello, Alvise Vivarini, Vittore Carpaccio, Giovanni Bellini, Pordenone and Titian. 53 meters long and 25 meters wide, this is not only the largest chamber in the Doge’s Palace, but also one of the largest rooms in Europe. Here, meetings of the Great Council were held, the most important political body in the Republic. A very ancient institution, this Council was made up of all the male members of patrician Venetian families over 25 years old, irrespective of their individual status, merits or wealth. This was why, in spite of the restrictions in its powers that the Senate introduced over the centuries, the Great Council continued to be seen as bastion of Republican equality. Soon after work on the new hall had been completed, the 1577 fire damaged not only this Chamber but also the Scrutinio Room. The structural damage was soon restored, respecting the original layout, and all works were finished within few years, ending in 1579-80. The decoration of the restored structure involved artists such as Veronese, Jacopo and Domenico Tintoretto, and Jacopo Palma il Giovane. The walls were decorated with episodes of the Venetian history, with particular reference to the city’s relations with the papacy and the Holy Roman Empire, while the ceiling was decorated with the Virtues and individual examples of Venetian heroism, and a central panel containing an allegorical glorification of the Republic. Facing each other in groups of six, the twelve wall paintings depict acts of valor or incidents of war that had occurred during the city’s history. Immediately below the ceiling runs a frieze with portraits of the first 76 doges (the portraits of the others are to be found in the Scrutinio Room); commissioned from Tintoretto, most of these paintings are in fact the work of his son. Each Doge holds a scroll bearing a reference to his most important achievements, while Doge Marin Faliero, who attempted a coup d’état in 1355, is represented simply by a black cloth as a traitor to the Republic. One of the long walls, behind the Doge’s throne, is occupied by the longest canvas painting in the world, Il Paradiso, which Tintoretto and his workshop produced between 1588 and 1592.
  • The Scrutinio Room is in the wing built between the 1520s and 1540s during the dogate of Francesco Foscari (1423–57), facing the Piazzeta. It was initially intended to house the precious manuscripts left to the Republic by Petrarch and Bessarione (1468); indeed, it was originally known as the Library. In 1532, it was decided that the Chamber should also hold the electoral counting and/or deliberations that assiduously marked the rhythm of Venetian politics, based on an assembly system whose epicenter was the nearby Great Council Chamber. After the construction of Biblioteca Marciana though, this room was used solely for elections. The present decorations date from between 1578 and 1615, after the 1577 fire. Episodes of military history in the various compartments glorify the exploits of the Venetians, with particular emphasis on the conquest of the maritime empire; the only exception being the last oval, recording the taking of Padua in 1405.
  • The Quarantia Criminale Chamber and the Cuoi Room were used for the administration of justice. The Quarantia Criminal was set up in the 15th century and dealt with cases of criminal law. It was a very important body as its members also had legislative powers.
  • The Magistrato alle Leggi Chamber housed the Magistratura dei Conservatori ed esecutori delle leggi e ordini degli uffici di San Marco e di Rialto. Created in 1553, this authority was headed by three of the city’s patricians and was responsible for making sure the regulations concerning the practice of law were observed.
  • The State Censors were set up in 1517 by Marco Giovanni di Giovanni, a cousin of Doge Andrea Gritti (1523–1538) and nephew of the great Francesco Foscari. The title and duties of the Censors resulted from the cultural and political upheavals that are associated with Humanism. In fact, the Censors were not judges as such, but more like moral consultants, being their main task the repression of electoral fraud and the protection of the State’s public institutions. On the walls of the Censors' Chamber hang a number of Domenico Tintoretto’s portraits of these magistrates, and below the armorial bearings of some of those who held the position.
  • The State Advocacies' Chamber is decorated with paintings representing some of the Avogadori venerating the Virgin, the Christ and various saints. The three members, the Avogadori, were the figures who safeguarded the very principle of legality, making sure that the laws were applied correctly. They were also responsible for preserving the integrity of the city’s patrician class, verifying the legitimacy of marriages and births inscribed in the Golden Book.
  • The "Scrigno" Room: the Venetian nobility as a caste came into existence because of the “closure” of admissions to the Great Council in 1297; however, it was only in the 16th century that formal measures were taken to introduce restrictions that protected the status of that aristocracy: marriages between nobles and commoners were forbidden and greater controls were set up to check the validity of aristocratic titles. There was also a Silver Book, which registered all those families that not only had the requisites of “civilization” and “honor”, but could also show that they were of ancient Venetian origin; such families furnished the manpower for the State bureaucracy - and particularly, the chancellery within the Doge’s Palace itself. Both books were kept in a chest in this room, inside a cupboard that also contained all the documents proving the legitimacy of claims to be inscribed therein.
  • Chamber of the Navy Captains: made up of 20 members from the Senate and the Great Council, the Milizia da Mar, first set up in the mid-16th century, was responsible for recruiting crews necessary for Venice’s war galleys. Another similar body, entitled the Provveditori all’Armar, was responsible for the actual fitting and supplying of the fleet. The furnishings are from the 16th century, while the wall torches date from the 18th century.

Old Prisons

The court and the prisons were originally in the Doge's Palace. Prison cells were in the wells and in the Piombi (the leads). Cells in the wells which were crowded, stuffy, and infested with insects. Cells in the Piombi, directly under the palace's conductive lead roof, were very hot in summer and very cold in winter. A famous inmate of the Piombi was Giacomo Casanova, who escaped through the roof, re-entered the palace, and was let out through the Porta della Carta.

The Bridge of Sighs and the New Prisons


Capital #12 in the porch (counting as #0 the one at the corner near the Bridge of Sighs): "Allegories of Virtues and Vices" - "Falsa fides in me semper est".
A corridor leads over the Bridge of Sighs, built in 1614 to link the Doge’s Palace to the structure intended to house the New Prisons. Enclosed and covered on all sides, the bridge contains two separate corridors that run next to each other. That which visitors use today linked the Prisons to the chambers of the Magistrato alle Leggi and the Quarantia Criminal; the other linked the prisons to the State Advocacy rooms and the Parlatorio. Both corridors are linked to the service staircase that leads from the ground floor cells of the Pozzi to the roof cells of the Piombi. The famous name of the bridge dates from the Romantic period and was supposed to refer to the sighs of prisoners who, passing from the courtroom to the cell in which they would serve their sentence, took a last look at freedom as they glimpsed the lagoon and San Giorgio through the small windows. In the mid-16th century it was decided to build a new structure on the other side of the canal to the side of the palace which would house prisons and the chambers of the magistrates known as the Notte al Criminal. Ultimately linked to the palace by the Bridge of Sighs, the building was intended to improve the conditions for prisoners with larger and more light-filled and airy cells. However, certain sections of the new prisons fall short of this aim, particularly those laid out with passageways on all sides and those cells which give onto the inner courtyard of the building. In keeping with previous traditions, each cell was lined with overlapping planks of larch that were nailed in place.

Influences

Azerbaijan

The Ismailiyya building in Baku, which at present serves as the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan, was styled after the Doge's Palace.

Romania

The Central rail station, in Iași, built in 1870, had as a model the architecture of the Doge's Palace. On the central part, there is a loggia with five arcades and pillars made of curved stone, having at the top three ogives.

United Kingdom


The western façade of Templeton's Carpet Factory
There are a number of 19th-century imitations of the palace's architecture in the United Kingdom, for example:
These revivals of Venetian Gothic were influenced by the theories of John Ruskin, author of the three-volume The Stones of Venice, which appeared in the 1850s.

Người Việt TV.com thực hiện vào tháng 08-2013